In 1950 Sterling and Francine Clark chartered the Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute as a home for their extensive art collection. Opened to the public in 1955, the Clark has built upon this extraordinary group of works to become one of the most beloved and respected art museums in the world, known for its intimate galleries and stunning natural environment. One of the few institutions in the United States that combines a public art museum with research and academic programs, including a major art history library, the Clark is now a leading international center for research and discussion on the nature of art and art history. Continued additions to the collection and the institute’s long history of collaborating with living artists and contemporary art historians ensures vibrancy and relevance in an ever-changing world.
The Clark is one of only a handful of institutions globally with a dual mission as an art museum and a distinguished center for research and higher education, dedicated to advancing and extending the public understanding of art.
The Clark’s mission and geographical location define three essential aspects of its character and identity: the quality of its art, the beauty of its pastoral setting, and the depth of its commitment to the generation of ideas.
The Clark Art Institute sits on the ancestral homelands of the Mohican people. We acknowledge the tremendous hardship of their forcible removal from these homelands by colonial settlers. A federally-recognized Nation, they now reside in Wisconsin and are known as the Stockbridge-Munsee Community. As we learn, speak, and gather here, we pay honor to their ancestors (past and present) and to future generations by committing to build a more inclusive and equitable space for all.
Maureen Fennessy Bousa
Sandra L. Burton
Eric L. Cochran, Chair*
O. Andreas Halvorsen
Patrick J. Landers
Elizabeth B. Lee
Martha Berman Lipp
Michael R. Lynch
Doris Fischer Malesardi
Sandra M. Niles
Amy Engel Scharf
William C. Schmidt
Scott Schweighauser, Treasurer*
Robert G. Scott
Denise Littlefield Sobel, Vice Chair*
Maud Mandel, Williams College President, ex officio
Olivier Meslay, Hardymon Director
Larry Smallwood, Deputy Director and Corporate Clerk*
* = Corporate Officers