Oil on canvas
46 1/2 x 23 5/16 in. (118.2 x 59.3 cm)
Signed lower right: Alfred Stevens.
Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute, 1955.868
- [Commissioned by Henry Le Roy & Fils, 1878];
- Arthur Warocqué, Brussels;
- Madame Arthur Warocqué, Brussels1;
- Raoul Warocqué, Brussels;
- [Galerie J. Allard, Paris, sold to Clark, March 4, 1936];
- Robert Sterling Clark (1936-1955);
- Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute, 1955.
- Madame Arthur Warocqué and Raoul Warocqué are listed as lending The Four Seasons, along with two other Stevens pictures, to the Exposition de l'oeuvre d'Alfred Stevens, held from February 6-27, 1900, in Paris, organized by Peintres français. It is unclear whether she partially owned The Four Seasons, or whether she lent one or both of the other pictures to the exhibition. The J. Allard invoice prepared for Clark does not include Madame Warocqué as an owner, but this may be an oversight.