Tony King Appointed Deputy Director of the Clark Art Institute

For Immediate Release

May 01, 2002

The Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute has appointed Tony King to the new position of deputy director. King, of Pittsfield, has been director of operations and finance at the Clark since 1998. As deputy director, King will be second-in-command at the Institute and will oversee the implementation of the Clark's master plan for the expansion and enhancement of its campus.

"As we enter a new period of activity in anticipation of our new building and landscape enhancements, I am delighted that Tony's experience and leadership will help make this exciting project happen," said Michael Conforti, director of the Clark Art Institute.

Before joining the Clark's staff in 1998, King was deputy director of the Worcester Art Museum. He has been director of the Washington State Historical Society and from 1979 to 1983 was executive director of the Berkshire County Historical Society, where he led successful fundraising campaigns to preserve historic structures at Arrowhead, Herman Melville's 19th-century home in Pittsfield. King currently teaches a course in museum administration at the Harvard University Graduate Extension School. He has been vice president of the Williamstown Chamber of Commerce and has also served on the boards of the New England Museum Association and the American Association of Museums.

The Clark recently selected Pritzker prize-winning architect Tadao Ando to design its new facility, part of a master plan for the expansion and enhancement of its campus. The Clark's project, scheduled to break ground in 2004, will be Ando's first museum project set within a rural American landscape. Ando will also work with the landscape architecture firm Reed-Hilderbrand Associates on a plan for preservation and improved access to the Clark's 140 acres of gardens, ponds, meadows, picnic areas, woodlands, and nature trails.

The 85,000 square-foot building will include new gallery space to exhibit more of the Clark's growing collection, particularly American art and decorative arts, as well as improved special exhibition galleries and visitor services such as orientation, shop, and restaurant. The new facility will also support the continued growth of the Institute's seminal research and academic programs, which stand among the foremost in the country, and house the Williamstown Art Conservation Center.

The Clark

The Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute is one of the country's foremost art museums and also a dynamic center for research and higher education in art history and criticism. The Clark's exceptional collections of Old Master, Impressionist, and 19th-century American art on display in the museum's intimate galleries are enhanced by the beauty of its 140-acre setting in the Berkshires. The Clark is also recognized for its special exhibitions, such as the recent Impression: Painting Quickly in France, 1860-1890, which concurrently advance critical thought and generate popular interest in the arts.

The Institute is one of only a few art museums in the U.S. that is also a major research and academic center, with an international fellowship program and regular conferences, symposia, and colloquia, and an important art research library. The Clark, together with Williams College, jointly sponsors one of the nation's leading M.A. programs in art history, which has been part of the professional development of a significant number of directors of art museums, curators, and scholars. The Clark's Fellows and conference programs draw university and museum professionals from around the world to pursue research and share new scholarship.  The Institute encompasses one of the most comprehensive art history libraries in the world. The Clark also is home to the Williamstown Art Conservation Center, which serves more than 50 institutions in the region and also provides professional training in art conservation.

The Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute is located at 225 South Street in Williamstown, Massachusetts.  The galleries are open Tuesday through Sunday, 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Admission is free through May.  For more information call 413-458-2303 or visit www.clarkart.edu.

Return to the previous page