The Museum Building


A new gallery for the European Decorative Arts collection
 

The first renovation of the Clark’s original museum building since it opened in 1955 adds more than 2200 square feet of new gallery space for display of the Clark's permanent collection.  Selldorf Architects' sensitive reconfiguration of former office and storage areas into new gallery space enables the Clark to present more of its collection without disrupting the museum’s original atmosphere and intimate scale.

Enhancements to the museum building include:

—A new west-facing entrance that returns the building to its original east-west axis

—A 15 percent increase in space for expanded displays of the Clark’s collection, including:

  • New galleries for paintings and decorative arts
  • Renovated galleries for paintings and sculpture
  • New lighting and climate control systems
  • Custom casework and gallery furniture designed by Annabelle Selldorf

Design Architect:
Selldorf Architects, New York, New York

Executive Architect:
Gensler, New York, New York