MAP
Header Image

The Clark

In 1950 the Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute was founded as a permanent home for the private art collection of Sterling and Francine Clark.  Sterling Clark—who was an heir to the Singer sewing machine fortune—and his wife Francine presided at the official opening of the museum in 1955, sharing their magnificent yet little-known collection with the world for the first time. Since the founding, the museum has gained international stature for the quality of its collections, innovative special exhibitions, and research and academic programs. The Clark is one of the few institutions in the United States that combines a public art museum with research and academic programs.
 
The Clark’s 140-acre campus provides an unrivaled opportunity to view great works of art and dramatic architecture in a setting of profound natural beauty. The campus includes three miles of public walking and hiking trails with scenic views of the Green Mountains and Taconic Range.